The Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center is seeking a Research Specialist to conduct sample preparation and analytical chemical analysis using mass spectrometry to identify, quantitate, and profile metabolites to support biomedical and life science research.
Main Duties and Responsibilities are:
- Responsible for preparing samples for LC/MS and GC/MS instrument analysis. This will include but not limited to raw sample extraction (i.e., liquid-liquid, ultrasonic)
and purification (i.e., solid-phase extraction, SpeedVac drying-down), sample solution transfer (i.e. from Eppendorf vial to autosampler vial),
standard solution preparation (i.e., for standard curve buildup and new mass spectrometry method optimization).
- Develop new sample preparation protocol (i.e., new extraction and derivertization method) to facilitate researchers’ coming projects.
Work with users in the design of further experiments, if warranted.
- Operate the instruments to execute the sample analysis. Collaborate with Lab users on data analysis.
- Responsible for staying informed of the development of new equipment, materials, methodologies and techniques in the research of metabolomics field.
- Provide training and troubleshooting assistance to users for Microplate reader.
- Responsible for keeping and updating inventory for the chemicals inside the lab and the coming samples from users.
- Maintain appropriate safety and handling training (chemical and biological) with university Division of Research & Safety,
request and coordinate waste collection according to current regulations, and maintain collections records.
- Maintain equipment and troubleshoot the emerging instrument problems.
- Write Methods section for manuscript submissions to peer-reviewed journals, and participate in publication of manuscripts.
- Responsible for assisting director with other duties as assigned in the operation of the Metabolomics facility.
Qualifications for this position:
Education: Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology, or Biochemistry. Alternative degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by relevant experience depending on nature and depth of experience as it relates to this position.
Required experience: A minimum of one year of working experience in the lab of biology, chemistry, or related scientific field. Working experience to deal with at least four kinds of the following raw materials (feces, urine, serum, plasma, whole blood, cells, cell media, plant/animal tissues, etc.).
Preferred experience: working experience to use GC/MS and/or LC/MS instruments.
Required knowledge: Familiar with statistical analysis for metabolomics related data. Knowledge for modern analytical instruments, primarily GC, HPLC (UPLC), Mass spectrometry.
Preferred knowledge: Proficient in at least one of the following programming languages: R, java, VB, MATLAB, or Python.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is a full-time Academic Profession appointment with full University of benefits package.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by November 30, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date.
For additional information, contact Dr. Lucas Li, Director of Metabolomics.
Phone: 217-333-5939, Email: email@example.com
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Campus-Wide Seminar Listings