The primary mission of the DNA Services Lab is to provide outstanding service and state-of-the-art instrumentation to support basic, environmental, agricultural, and translational medical research for our campus investigators and external academic and corporate collaborators.
*We are an Illumina Certified Sequence Provider
Illumina NovaSeq 6000
This is the latest instrument from Illumina for ultra-high throughput sequencing of genomic DNA, RNA-Seq, bisulfite-treated DNA, targeted and mate-pair libraries and any sample that needs high depth.
New NovaSeq flowcells have been released that make this the most cost effective instrument, while making the HiSeq 4000 and 2500 obsolete.
NovaSeq Sequencing Options
Illumina HiSeq 2500 (legacy system, see NovaSeq above)
For sequencing of all types of libraries: RNA-Seq, shotgun genomic, mate-pairs, ChIP-Seq, small RNA, custom libraries, etc.
- Single- or paired-reads, 50bp to 250bp in length (longest of all Illumina's high-throughput instruments).
- Each lane produces:
- 150 to 200 million single-reads
- 280 to 400 million paired-reads
- Up to 75Gb per lane
- Flowcells have just 2 lanes and can be utilized for rapid turn-around time.
For sequencing libraries from amplicons (ie: 16S, 18S, ITS, etc), genomic DNA, small RNAs, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, etc.
- Single- or paired-reads, 50bp to 300bp in length
- V2 Nano run produces 500k to 2 million paired-reads
- V2 bulk run produces 8 to 20 million paired-reads
- V3 run produces 10 to 40 million paired-reads
- Flowcell is just 1 lane
Oxford Nanopore GridION
Long sequencing reads from genomic DNA, RNA, cDNA, 16S or other amplicons.
- One flowcell produces from 1 to 9 million reads depending on the type of sample
- Reads are typically from 5kb to 40kb and with some reads from HMW genomic DNA reaching up to 250kb
- Each flowcell runs one or multiple samples
The 10x Chromium system produces libraries for 3' transcriptome sequencing from single-cells and for de novo genome assembly, genome phasing and characterization of large structural variations.
- Libraries constructed on 10x are fully compatible with Illumina sequencing.
- Fast and low cost de novo assembly of genomes.
- Phasing of genomes and characterization of small and large structural variants.
- de novo libraries are sequenced 2x150nt on the NovaSeq and typically require just 1 lane of sequencing.
- Single-cell libraries can be constructed from 500 to 10,000 cells per library.
- Single-cell libraries are sequenced 2x100nt or 2x150nt on the NovaSeq, with a minimum of 50k reads per cell recommended.