Metabolomics Core Facility
The Metabolomics Core Facility of the Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign identifies and quantifies small molecules (metabolites) from a variety of origins such as biological tissue, blood, serum, plasma, cell, cell medium, urine, feces, among others. We provide support for untargeted and targeted metabolite profiling, detecting such compounds as sugars and sugar phosphates, alcohols, amine and polyamines, amino acids, fatty acids, complex lipids, nucleotides, organic acids, phenolics, bile acids, steroids/hormones, phthalates, PFAS, and many more emerging metabolites. We help execute projects, including protocol development, sample preparation, instrument method development, instrument data acquisition, and data processing.
Multiple complementary analytical methods are utilized with mass spectrometry. Our laboratory possesses several mass spectrometers, including four liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometers such as a Thermo Fisher Q-Exactive hybrid quadrupole-orbitrap, a Thermo Fisher Altis triple quadrupole, Sciex 6500+ triple quadrupole, and a Sciex 5500 hybrid triple quadrupole-ion trap (QTRAP), as well as three gas chromatograph-mass spectrometers such as an Agilent 5977A, Agilent 5975C, and Agilent 5973. We have been primarily funded through the generosity of the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust and National Center for Research Resources.
- Assays include LC-MS Metabolite Profiling (Untargeted Metabolomics) and LC-MS Lipid Profiling (Untargeted Lipidomics)
- Data: Semi-quantitative
- LC-MS and GC-MS assays specific for classes of metabolites or pathways
- Fully quantitative methods we currently have developed include: Steroids, Bile Acids, Amino Acids, PFAS, Fatty Acid Methyl Esters, Short-chain Fatty Acids
- Semi-targeted assays include GC-MS Metabolite Profiling
- Data: Quantitative or semi-quantitative
- Upon request, we commonly analyze specific single metabolites or groups of metabolites. Inquire for more information
Please begin by visiting our Services/Pricing page. If interested in analysis, please complete our online Sample Submission Form and/or Email us at email@example.com.