Carver Metabolomics Core
The Carver Metabolomics Core of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Roy J. Carver Biotechnology Center identifies and quantifies small molecules (metabolites) from a variety of origins such as biological tissue, blood, serum, plasma, cell, cell medium, urine, feces, among others. We provide support for untargeted and targeted metabolite profiling, detecting such compounds as sugars and sugar phosphates, alcohols, amine and polyamines, amino acids, fatty acids, complex lipids, nucleotides, organic acids, phenolics, bile acids, steroids/hormones, phthalates, and many more emerging metabolites. We help execute projects, including protocol development, sample preparation, instrument method development, instrument data acquisition, and data processing.
Multiple complementary analytical methods are utilized with mass spectrometry. Our laboratory has 9 mass spectrometers, including 6 liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometers such as the recently purchased Agilent 6560 ion mobility Q-TOF and Agilent 6546 Q-TOF systems, in addition to our Thermo Fisher Q Exactive hybrid quadrupole-orbitrap, a Thermo Fisher Altis triple quadrupole, Sciex 6500+ triple quadrupole, and a Sciex 5500 hybrid triple quadrupole-ion trap (QTRAP), as well as 3 gas chromatograph-mass spectrometers including the Agilent 5977A, Agilent 5975C, and Agilent 5973. We have received funding for many of these instruments through the generosity of the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust, as well as the National Center for Research Resources.
- Assays include LC-MS Metabolite Profiling (Untargeted Metabolomics) and LC-MS Lipid Profiling (Untargeted Lipidomics)
- Assay for GC-MS Metabolite Profiling
- Data: Semi-quantitative
Targeted Metabolite Classes
- LC-MS and GC-MS assays specific for classes of metabolites
- Quantitative methods we currently have developed include: Steroids, Bile Acids, Amino Acids, Fatty Acids (Medium- to Very Long-chain), Short-chain Fatty Acids, Aromatic Amino Acid Derivatives, and Sugars
- Data: Quantitative
Custom Targeted Metabolites (<5 Metabolites)
- You can request less than 5 metabolites from one of our metabolite panels (listed above)
- It is possible that your request for a metabolite(s) can be accommodated without method development as we have a substantial number of established assays for metabolites not listed on the site.